- GB235 CAV
- 1896 - 2008
Box 1 of 3
• GB235 CAV/1 Folder: "M/S Journal of tours and misc. notes, 1 of 2":
Ms. journal copy of voyage on S.S. Goorkha, Gravesend to Calcutta, 18 Sept.–25 Oct. 1896, 15 pp.
• GB235 CAV/2 Folder: "Tour notes, 2 of 2":
Ms. letter to Mr Cave from (?), Botanischer Garten, Heidelberg, on seeds, 1 p., 1911; ms. plant notes, including “Duties of the Seedboy and notes on Magnolia campbelli", 3 pp.; 2 postcards depicting primula by Mary Gill.
• GB235 CAV/3 Folder: "Corres with H.R. Fletcher":
Correspondence from H.R. Fletcher to Mr Cave, 5 pp., typescript, 1957. Subjects include Cave, Ribu, and Rhomoo collections in the Herbarium, and a map of Sikkim. Rhomoo Lepcha and Ribu Lepcha headed up a team of collectors who followed William Wright Smith and G.H. Cave’s botanical explorations in Sikkim, 1909–1910. Ms. note: “Cave’s MS. List of Collections, etc. are in the Herbarium; Cave’s Sikkim map is in the map cabinet.”
• GB235 CAV/4 Folder: "Sikkim tour notes, etc":
Typescript, “Identification of Specimens /Collected by G.H. Cave in the Zemu and Llonakh Valleys of Sikkim, 3 pp., 1947; ms. notebook of “Identification of Specimens …”; faded photograph of G.H. Cave.
• GB235 CAV/5 Folder: "Passes and Travel Information":
“Notice. Travellers’ bungalows in Sikkim and the Darjeeling District,” 1922; ms. letter of permission for Sikkim pass and Sikkim Pass issued to G.H. Cave, 2 pp., July 1903; hand-drawn map of Sikkim; letter authorizing Mr Watt of Aberdeen (and G.H. Cave to accompany him) to see rhododendrons, 1 p., May 1925; ms. notes of itinerary route into Sikkim, 2 pp.; ms. plant notes, including seeding of rhododendrons, 4 pp.; “Short Note on the Religion, Castes and Languages of Inhabitants of Nepal for the Guidance of Census Officers,” with ms. annotations, 2 pp., July 1900; Census Circular No. 10 of 1900,” with ms. annotations, 3 pp., Sept. 1900.
• GB235 CAV/6 Folder: "1.Lists of Plants, 2.Notes on Orchids of Sikkim":
Notebook, ms. lists of plants (provisional checklist of plants of Sikkim, Darjeeling? damaged corner - rodents?); “Notes on the Orchids of Sikkim, etc.,” 2 copies, 1912; ms. 'Notes on Sikkim Orchids', 15 pp.; ms. notes on state of horticultural training in Bengal and scheme for future course of training, 33 pp.; ms. notes on monthly tasks in the garden; ms. financial proposals, 2 pp.
• GB235 CAV/7 Folder: "Misc Correspondence";
includes: “Influence of Parks and Gardens and Open Spaces in Civic Developments, by A.E.P. Griessen, Agricultural Department, United Provinces, 1927; ms. letter from James Cromar Watt to G.H. Cave with photograph of Magnolia globosa in flower, July 1938; photocopy of George Sherriff photograph of primula removed and added to Sherriff photo collection.
• GB235 CAV/8 Bound map of Sikkim showing the routes William Wright Smith and G.H. Cave took in 1909 and 1910 (published by the Surveyor General of India, May 1906).
Box 2 of 3
• GB235 CAV/9 Folder: "Correspondence on Indigenous Plants" includes:
Ms. “The Darjeeling Forests,” by J. Sykes Gamble, 28 pp.; ms. letter from William Wright Smith to G.H. Cave, 1913; ms. letter from Dr A. Robertson [Prochowski?] to G.H. Cave listing desired plants growing in Darjeeling, July 1912; ms. notes on various plants, including daphne and juniper; ms. essay on Equisetum.
• GB235 CAV/10 Folder: "Corres with W.W.Smith":
Correspondence from William Wright Smith to G.H. Cave on Sikkim plants, 1910–1948, ms., including typescript page of “Primula Sections Published”; 1 typescript letter from J. S. Gamble to W.W. Smith, with list of Sikkim species of genus Arundinaria, 1911; photograph of G.H. Cave.
• GB235 CAV/11 Folder: "Garden Survey":
Ms. “Alphabetical List of Garden Survey / names followed by numbers,” 98 pp.
Box 3 of 3 - Diaries
• GB235 CAV/12 Folder: Diary, Sikkim, 1906:
Ms. notebook of Sikkim diary; ms. diary (loose sheets, 45 pp.), July 1906;
“George Cave’s Diary: Sikkim, July 1906” (transcribed, edited and annotated by Rowena Cave, December 2008).
• GB235 CAV/13 Ms. notebook, diary, 128 pp. [c. 1909–1910?].
• GB235 CAV/14 Ms. reporter’s notebook, diary and plant notes, 1910–1911.
• GB235 CAV/15 Ms. ledger, 141 pp., 1905. Lists plant names, where collected in Sikkim, date of collection of specimen and seed, and serial numbers in Herbarium and Indian Garden.
• GB235 CAV/16 Folder: "Notebooks and Diaries on tour in Sikkim"
Ms. notes of the tour examining the flora of northwest Sikkim, 40 pp., 1909; ms. diary of tour in Sikkim, 6 pp., 2 copies; ms. notes of a “short tour in Sikkim,” with details of route and plants collected, 5 pp., July 1906.
Cave, George H.